"HMS Angel" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0767
This Alexander Wilson photograph is, in fact, miscaptioned. The vessel in the picture is almost certainly the torpedo gunship, "HMS Niger", which called into Dundee in August 1897.
An "Alarm Class" gunship, she had three 18 inch torpedo tubes as well as 4 three pounder guns and two E class guns (which each weighed two tons). She had a gross tonnage of 810, was 230 feet long and had a crew of 85.
Nothing is known of the duties of "HMS Niger" on this particular voyage. According to the Dundee Advertiser, she sailed for Aberdeen on 26th August 1897, under the command of someone called Curtis.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.