High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0224
This photograph looks eastwards to the left, and shows the section of High Street which changed dramatically towards the end of the century, when a new Royal Bank of Scotland to plans by Sir George Washington Browne.
No. 1 High Street was David M. Allan, perfumer. No. 2 house D. & J. Milne, a housing agent, and John M. Milne, solicitor, as well as John Wilson, who is described in the Dundee Directory as Spirit Merchant's assistant.
The Quality and Value Clothing Company only appears in the Dundee Directory for the second half of 1896; Smith Brothers was a long-established business.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.