High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0230
This photograph shows Dundee's High Street between the spires of St Paul's Episcopal Church to the east and left and the Town House.
It was taken after 1899, since the Royal Bank of Scotland (the lightest building in the picture) was built then.
The street leading southwards to the west of the Town House was The Vault. The area was cleared completely for the construction of City Chambers, the Caird Hall and City Square.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.