High Street, Dundee (south side) - Ref: WC0269
The east end of Dundee's High Street is show here, with the Clydesdale Bank building at the extreme left, Seagate / Commercial Street in the middle distance and Castle Street leading off to the south and right.
The Piper O' Dundee for 14 August 1889 (pp. 402-4) has portraits of D. S., G. K. and J. L. Smith of Smith Bros., and a short history of the firm. They had all risen from fairly menial jobs, like selling papers in the street and driving carts.
The sign of William A. Higgie, watchmaker, is a remnant of the former occupants, that name appearing only in the Dundee Directory for 1893-94.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.