High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0235
This photograph shows Dundee High Street leading westwards to the right into Nethergate, with the Town House of 1734 at its focal point.
The alleyway leading southwards to the east of the Town House is St Clement's Lane.
William Bell's tailor shop dominates the front of the building which also housed Doig & Sons, the chemists, Mackay Bros., the goldsmiths, and T. Gourlay, auctioneer.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.