High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0241
This photograph focuses on the western end of High Street, where the Overgate begins (to the north and right of Monk's House with its distinctive round-tower edge).
P. Fleming, the Shipping and Emigration Agent, advertises passages to New Zealand, etc., on the Orient, Cunard and N. Z. State Lines.
Above William Patterson's bootmaker's shop, which was having a term sale when the photograph was taken, was Dick's Foreign and British Emporium (which has not been found in any Dundee Directory).
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.