High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0244
The Caird Fountain stood in front of the Dundee Arms at No. 31 High Street.
The junctions at Melville House are with Thorter Row, leading northwards to the Overgate, and Church Lane, leading to the City Churches.
William Ferrier (who styles himself "artistic photographer" in advertisements in the Dundee Directory) is at No. 1 Tally Street, and the buildings between his studio and Melville House are Nethergate rather than High Street.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.