High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0275
This photograph shows the junction of High Street (at its westernmost edge) and Tally Street, which ran to the east of the City Churches. Strictly speaking, the block including Melville's is Nethergate.
Thomas Justice the furniture dealer is listed at various numbers of Tally Street up to the Dundee Directory for 1892-93. Between the two shop frontages in his name is David Wilkie the butcher.
The Albion Hotel is, according to the Dundee Directory, 'the favourite resort in Dundee of farmers, cyclists, visitors and others' and under new management in the form of John W Baird.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.