High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0267
This photograph shows the west end of Dundee High Street from the foot of Reform Street (Strathtay House at the extreme right) and leading into the Overgate.
The Piper O' Dundee of 22 April 1891 has a feature on Strathtay House, 'long occupied by Mr Adam Smail' which has recently been 'transformed into one of the very finest business blocks in Dundee.'
As well as increasing the floorage space, the shop had the first hydraulic elevator in the city supplied by an American company. 'Brilliant lighting of the windows and of the whole frontage is strikingly effective.'
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.