High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0283
The elegant building which is the focal point of this photograph stands at the corner of Whitehall Street, leading southwards to the right, and Nethergate; only beyond it does the road become High Street.
It was taken in ca. 1888, when Thomas S. Blakeney ran the shop recognisable as Moon and Langland's; the building was taken over by Draffens in 1889-90.
Shops in Whitehall Street include Miss Stewart the baby linen wholesaler, James Duncan jun., the flesher and J B Hurrie's fancy drapery.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.