High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0289
This photograph shows the corner of Whitehall Street (leading southwards to the right) and Nethergate; High Street begins to the left of the impressive corner building.
John Scrymgeour the baker is listed in the Dundee Directory for 1890-91 at No. 4 Nethergate and No. 4 Whitehall Street (the latter a residential address), and similarly at Pierhead and McIvor Cottage (West) Newport.
No. 6 Whitehall Street was Sinclair & Ewing, ironmongers. Among the companies listed at No. 10 were the Newport Gaslight Co., and the City of Melbourne Bank, Ltd., whose agents were P F & J Husband.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.