High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0300
This photograph shows the northern section of High Street between Thorter Row in the west (to the left) and so-called Monk's House (here marked Shipping Office).
The Sheffield Warehouse at No. 41 High Street was the business of Henry G. Dixon, who hailed originally from that city, where he was apprenticed as a cutler and saw maker in the 1850s.
A biography and portrait were printed in he Piper O' Dundee of 17th June 1896, from which we learn that Dixon took out a patent on his hollow frame cycle design, and subsequently to protect saddle and tyre innovations.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923..