High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0308
This photograph shows the northern section of High Street between Monk's House and Thorter Row, to the west of the Dundee Arms, where the entrance to Church Lane can also be seen.
The Caird Fountain stands at the extreme left. The original was removed and destroyed, but a similar example stands at the north side of the park which now bears the Caird name, near the city's Kingsway ring road.
Dixon's Tools & working models, and Dixon & Irvine's Football and cricket stores belonged to the Sheffield-born cutler and sports enthusiast, Henry G. Dixon. Besides the two sports mentioned, he was a cycling specialist, holding various design patents.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.