High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0310
This photograph was taken from the south side of Dundee High Street, perhaps at the north end of Castle Street, looking west along to the junction with the Overgate.
In the central building, John Craig (whose advertising, in a rather unlikely fashion, highlights underclothing) has sold his shop, while above that was 'The Garden', Dundee's vegetarian restaurant.
J. P. Smith & sons occupied the next block. The Piper O' Dundee of 1899 has portraits of Arthur and James P. Smith, and a description of the shop, which had 'a complete electric light installation, and an electric hoist, the first of its kind in Dundee.'
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.