High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0198
This photograph shows the western section of Dundee's High Street with Overgate forming the alley to the right (and north) of Whytock's the jeweller, whose window display here advertises 'positively the last day' of a sale of Parisian diamonds.
At the left hand side is Melville House, a 'warehouse' (shop) belonging to W. H. Melville, silk mercer, draper, tailor, dressmaker, costumemaker, milliner and general outfitter (Dundee Directory), who lived in Dunvarlich, in Wormit.
The General Billposting Office was at No. 44, above Whytock's. At No. 42 was a spirit merchants belonging to Mrs G. T. Ross.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.