High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0209
This photograph shows the northern side of Dundee High Street between Thorter Row (which runs northwards to the east (and left) of the Dundee Arms) and Reform Street.
The Shipping Office was run by P. Fleming, who acted as an agent for several leading shipping lines, including Cunard, and arranged passage to New Zealand, Australia and North America.
The building to the left housed the Dundee Temperance Union office, which according to the printed report of 1889 was open 1-3pm and 6-7pm.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.