High Street, Dundee (north side) - Ref: WC0302
Seen from somewhere near the top of Crichton Street, the buildings in this photograph stand on the north side of High Street, between Thorter Row in the west (the left) and Reform Street in the east.
Henry G. Dixon's British Sport Repository at No. 41 High Street has a penny farthing bicycle sitting outside the upper window; Dixon held patents for various designs (he being the first builder to use hollow frames), saddles and tyres.
He had also secured the agency for the 'Daimler' horseless carriage (as the Piper O' Dundee of 17th June 1896 calls it), a motor vehicle combining electrical and oil power.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.