High School (Boys), Dundee - Ref: WC1457
The impressive eight-columned Doric portico of Dundee High School is photographed here from Albert Square. Originally the school was known as the "Seminaries," it became the High School in 1859.
Dundee High School represents one of the few deliberate town planning decisions in Dundee. The portico is viewed to great advantage when looking up from Reform Street. Still there today, Dundee High School is now a fee-paying school. (2001)
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923