High School (Boys), Dundee - Ref: WC2134
The High School built in 1824 was originally known as The Seminaries. It combined three schools: Dundee Academy, the Grammar School and the Kirkyard School. It became the High School in 1859. The school was originally only for boys. A girls school was built in 1890.
An outstanding feature of the High School is its eight-columned Doric portico. This is viewed with great effect from Reform Street. The High School is now a fee-paying school (2001).
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923