High School, (Boys), Dundee - Ref: WC1460
A decision was made in Dundee to bring three schools under one roof in a purpose- built building. The three schools were Dundee Academy, the Grammar School and the Kirkyard School and the new school was known as "The Seminaries."
The architect was George Angus. His impressive eight columned Doric portico can be seen to great effect from Reform Street. The school became known as the High School in 1859. Still in use as a school today, though no longer only for boys, Dundee High School is now a fee-paying school. (2001)
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923