Harris Academy, Old, Dundee - Ref: WC1811
This photograph shows the old Harris Academy which was situated in Park Place. It was opened on the 31st August,1885. On the opening day 1,035 pupils enrolled. The accommodation soon proved insufficient.
The situation eased slightly once Morgan Academy was taken over by the School Board in 1889. However, the decision was made to build a new school and the current Harris Academy was built on the Perth Road in 1931.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.