Hansom Cab in Eagle Inn Close - Ref: WC1014
Alexander Wilson's collection of photographs includes several of the different means of transport which were in use during his time in Dundee. The Hansom cab, a two-wheeled carriage with the driver at the back, was very popular.
W.P. Robertson, one of the city's many coach-hirers, pioneered the rubber-tyred version in the city and rapidly built up the business he had joined as a worker into a sizeable concern.
According to the 1891 and 1901 Census returns, Eagle Inn Close was situated at 144 Murraygate.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.