Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1064
An advertisement in the Dundee & Perth Saturday Post of 6th June 1857 highlights the 'good and well-aired beds' in the Crown Hotel. In 1890 (the approximate date of this photograph), it was owned and managed by Mrs E. Steel.
On the opposite side of the Greenmarket were the Weigh House, established in 1825, owned by James Cowan jun., a salt merchant, at No. 23, and the coffee and dining rooms belonging to John Downie at No. 17.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.