Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1067
The Greenmarket in Dundee was a large area not far from the railway stations and docks, reserved for weekly markets. At the lefthand side of this Alexander Wilson photograph is James Coawn's saltstore and the Public Weigh House.
Whitehall Crescent stands about the middle of the photograph, with Nathaniel Irving (pork, ham & bacon curer), Charles Downie, the restaurateur at The Meeting House, and John Cameron's Temperance Hotel. There were no street numbers at that time.
No. 2 Greenmarket was the grocery belonging to James F. Croal (also listed in the Dundee Directory at No. 26 Crichton Street) with another branch at No. 84 Victoria Road. Forbes Watson, the publican at the Criterion Restaurant.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.