Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1066
This photograph shows the north-east corner of an open space in Dundee which was known as the Greenmarket, with the junction with Castle Lane in the centre.
J.F. Croal, the grocer, also had shops at No. 84 Victoria Road. Next door to his Greenmarket shop was the Criterion Restaurant. This was surely also a public house, run by Forbes Watson, listed in the Dundee Directory as a wines and spirits merchant.
Mrs. D. Lowden owned the adjoining public house. To the south of Castle Lane was another public house, this time owned by George Willsher. M. Thoms' Temperance Hotel was above the store of Robertson, the potato merchant.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.