Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1076
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the open space to the south of Dundee's High Street known as The Greenmarket, viewed from Dock Street (the salt store belonging to James Cowan jnr. is listed in Dock Street).
To the east is the Crown Hotel, one of the city's oldest, listed at No. 40 Greenmarket and No. 1 Shore Terrace. The manager at the end of the 19th century was Mrs E. Steel. At No. 5 Shore Terrace were the offices of the D.P. & L. sailing company.
The date of the fairground has not been established. Dundee has a trades fair at the end of July / beginning of August, which may have had some connection. Dundee Central Library's Lamb Collection 227 (9) has a report of Saturday Night at the Greenmarket.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.