Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1080
This photograph by the Dundee-based Alexander Wilson shows the west side an open space known as The Greenmarket, with Dock Street running westwards at the left hand side towards the railway stations.
The Public Weigh House at No. 23 belonged to James Cowan jnr., one member of a family of salt merchants. The Working Men's Coffee and Dining rooms on the corner (No. 6 Dock Street) were managed by Peter M. Hossick, who lived at No. 4 Dock Street.
No. 17 Greenmarket was John Downie's Coffee and dining rooms. He lived at No. 16 Seafield Road. William Brown jun.'s saleroom for salt and chalk whiting was at No. 13 Dock Street. He lived at Rosemount, Camphill, Broughty Ferry.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.