Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1085
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson collection shows Dundee's Greenmarket, viewed here from the south, with Crichton Street leading to the High Street at the left hand side.
Behind the rear wheel of the cart is James F. Croal's grocery. Behind the horse is D. Lowden's public house. In between (unseen) was Forbes Watson's Criterion restaurant.
The photograph is undated, so it's impossible to say who the hairdresser at the right hand side was. In 1889, James Currie was at No. 30, by 1894 Alfred McWalter had taken over.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.