Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1084
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the north-eastern corner of the Greenmarket in Dundee, with Crichton Street leading northwards to the High Street at the left, and Castle Lane leading to the Vault at the right.
James F. Croal, the grocer, was No. 2 Greenmarket, the Criterion restaurant, owned by Forbes Watson, is listed at Nos. 6 and 6a, and Mrs D. Lowden's public house (name unknown) was No. 8.
At the south side of Castle Lane was George Willsher's public house, then came Robert Kidd, the potato merchant (No. 14), Ferrier & Co. (coopers and joiners at No. 18), then Holliwell (No. 24) and James Cant (No. 26), both booksellers.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.