Greenmarket and Shore Terrace, Dundee - Ref: WC1071
James F. Croal, at No. 2 (also listed as No. 26 Crichton Street in the Dundee Directory), was a grocer. The Crown Hotel, which was probably one of Dundee's oldest, was managed towards the end of the 19th century by Mrs E. Steele.
The building on the lefthand side of the photograph with towers at north and south ends was the Old Customs House, one of the more 'quaint' reminders of Dundee's past. It was probably built at the beginning of the 18th century.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.