Greenmarket and Crichton Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1078
This photograph shows the northern part of an open space in Dundee known as The Greenmarket, with Crichton Street leading northwards to the High Street at the left, and Castle Lane leading east towards the Vault at the right.
G Brimner was the manager of the working men's dining rooms at No. 29 Crichton Street, and the furniture shop advertised was probably James Thomson, listed as a cabinetmaker at No. 21.
Mrs James Maclean was the china merchant at No. 3 Greenmarket, in fact the Old Customs House with its distinctive round towers. Morton J. A. and John G. A. Maclean are also listed at that address as an auctioneer and an engineer respectively.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.