Greenmarket and Crichton Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1082
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson collection shows the north-east corner of an open space in Dundee called The Greenmarket, with Crichton Street leading northwards to the High Street at the lefthand side and Castle Lane at the right.
James F. Croal, the grocer, is listed in the Dundee Directory as No. 24 Crichton Street and No. 2 Greenmarket, with Forbes Watson's The Criterion at Nos. 6 and 6a. D. Lowden's spirit stores were No. 8.
George Willsher's public house was No. 12. The cooper and joiner at No. 18 was called Ferrier, with Davidson's Temperance Hotel at No. 16. No 'timetable' for the different types of markets has been found, but this was clearly a fishmarket day.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.