Glassite Church, Dundee - Ref: WC1806
The Glassite religious sect was founded in 1730 by the Rev. John Glas. The unusual octagonal church was opened in the early 1770s. The practise of serving soup during services gave the church the alternative name of the "Kail Kirk".
The sect lost popularity and the Glassite church was threatened with demolition at least once in its history. However, it survived and in 1975 was given to the nearby St Andrew's church, as well as a sum of money for its restoration. In exchange St Andrew's gave up ground behind the church to the city.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.