Gilfillan Memorial Church, Dundee - Ref: WC1424
The foundation stone for Gilfillan Memorial Church was laid on the 7th May, 1887 and completed a year later. The building cost £9000 which was a large sum and, remarkably, this money had been raised before the foundation stone was laid.
Shops in the photograph include, on the left hand side, Fleming's Store ( 2 girls with prams and 2 boys standing outside), and Kimberley Warehouse, selling waterproof goods.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.