General view, Newport-0n-Tay - Ref: WC3039
Newport-on-Tay. General view of Newport including the spires and turrets of Trinity U.F. Church. At the beginning of the 19th Century probably only twenty cottages made up the village of Newport with a population of around 100.
As the ferry service developed so did the village. By the middle of the century Newport was becoming a dormitory suburb of Dundee and also a convenient holiday resort for Dundee's businessmen.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.