"Gateacre" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0832
The "Gateacre", with a gross tonnage of 1409 and measuring 231 feet in length, was built in 1877 by the Sunderland firm, William Doxford and Sons, for the Liverpool shipping company, C. W. Kellock and Co.
An iron three-masted full-rigged ship, the "Gateacre" only made on recorded visit to Dundee, arriving on 3rd April 1887 with a cargo of 9, 506 bales of raw jute from Chittagong, after a passage of 153 days.
Alexander Wilson took this photograph of the vessel berthed on the north side of Dundee Harbour's Victoria Dock, and it appears to have been taken shortly after arrival before unloading, judging by the way the vessel lies relatively low in the water.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.