Fishing boats in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0986
This photograph was taken from the south side of Dundee's King William IV Dock, which lies to the east of Earl Grey Dock in what were known as "The western docks". They were filled in when the Tay Road Bridge was built.
The road running north at the right hand side is Commercial Street, which leads (via the junctions with Seagate and High Street, which is where St Paul's cathedral with its distinctive spire stands proud) to Meadowside and Albert Square.
The buildings to the left (and west) are Dock Street, where several shipping companies and various importers (including, for example, Dutch margarine importers) had their offices. None of the boats has been identified.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.