Fish Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0174
This area was demolished in 1878 to make way for Whitehall Crescent. The spire of St Paul's Cathedral can be seen in the distance. At one time Fish Street was occupied by respectable well-to-do tenants.
By the middle of the 19th Century Fish Street had lost its appeal with the merchants and middle classes and became occupied and frequented by unsavoury characters. It was the referred to sarcastically as "The Holy Land"
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.