Electric tram in Dundee High Street - Ref: WC1055
Alexander Wilson took many photographs whose subjects were means of transport, without which our impressions of that aspect of life at the time would be much the poorer.
Electric trams (like the one seen in front of the Town House in Dundee's High Street) were introduced to the city in 1900, having been preceded first by horse-drawn and then steam-driven trams. Four of the steam engines were maintained as snowploughs.
Fares on the trams were modest compared to the price of cabs. The Dundee and District Tramway Company's offices were at No. 19 High Street, the manager in 1900 was John Beveridge. As well as passengers, they carried parcels.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.