Earl Grey Dock, Dundee - Ref: WC0981
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows Dundee's Earl grey Dock, the smallest and most westerly lying of the city's four docks (the others being King William IV, Camperdown and Victoria).
The vessel to the right is the "Fifeshire", a Dundee to Newport ferry. The other is a steam ship, most possibly a trawler. Behind the shed at the right is the funnel of a "Princess" liner steamer and the Royal Arch, built in 1848.
Just to the right of centre is St Paul's cathedral spire, and the spire to the left is the Town House, which stood from 1732 to 1932 on High Street. The buildings to the left are Greenmarket, those to the right are Dock Street.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.