Dupplin Castle - Ref: WC2486
Dupplin Castle, as seen in this photograph by Alexander Wilson, was the third mansion built on this site. The previous building was consumed by fire in 1827. Located to the south west of Perth, it was designed by William Burn (1789-1870) and was completed in 1832.
A splendid Tudor edifice, it cost around £30, 000 and commands an impressive view of nearly all of Strathearn. The castle, and the Hay family (as Viscount Dupplin and Earl of Kinnoull) paid host to Victoria and Albert on 6th September 1842.
Nearby the Battle of Dupplin was fought between Edward Baliol and the forces of March, the Regent of Scotland. The latter was slain, along with 13, 000 of his men. A stone was erected to celebrate the victory on 12th August 1332.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.