Dupplin Castle - Ref: WC2489
This photograph shows the third Dupplin Castle. It was built near the site of the Battle of Duuplin (12th August 1332), when Edward Baliol surprised and routed the superior forces of the new Regent, March, killing him and 13, 000 of his men.
The previous building was destroyed by fire in 1827, though a valuable library of first editions of classics and many paintings were saved. This Tudor colossus was constructed from 1828-32 to plans by William Burn. It was home to the Hay family.
Victoria and Albert visited on 6th September 1842. The castle, lying south west of Perth, was purchased by Sir John Alexander Dewar the whisky tycoon in 1911, and was itself badly fire damaged in 1934 and demolished in 1967.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.