Dundee West Railway Station (New) - Ref: WC1037
This photograph by Alexander Wilson, the manager of a Dundee jute finishing factory, shows the third Dundee West railway station in South Union Street. At the right hand side, Union Street leads north to Nethergate and the City Churches.
The clock tower was the most striking external feature of Thomas Barr's red sandstone design. Internally, a semi-circular booking office gave access to all four platforms.
Passengers travelling further north by rail had to transfer to the Dundee and Arbroath Railway's Dundee East Station. At the left hand side is the goods yard with a separate carting office.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.