Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0965
This view of Dundee Harbour is taken looking eastwards along the south side of Dock Street. The water to the right is the Earl Grey Dock, with No. 4 and No. 4a storage sheds apparently having been damaged.
The imposing structure at the left foreground is the Royal Arch, a structure erected in 1848, four years after Queen Victoria visited Dundee. It was dynamited into the Earl Grey Dock when the land was reclaimed for the Tay Bridge approach roads.
In the distance is the elegant Customs House of 1842/3, designed by James Leslie and John Taylor. The three storey building is dominated by an imposing pediment with four Ionic columns and is still one of the city's most imposing sights.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.