Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0966
This photograph by the Dundee based amateur, Alexander Wilson, shows the King William IV Docks, looking north east from the western quayside. The two ships at the centre are berthed alongside No. 10 storage shed.
The ship to the left hand side is berthed alongside the south side of Dundee's Dock Street, with some of the buildings there also visible. The imposing grey building is the Customs House, built in 1842/3 and still dominating that part of the city.
The crane to the right hand side is a five ton crane and stands at the mouth of the west graving dock, where ships were cleaned and repaired, which was particularly important in Dundee after ships had spent over 100 days at sea bringing jute to the city.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.