Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0969
This photograph by the Dundee based amateur, Alexander Wilson, shows the River Tay looking west towards the railway bridge, which connected Dundee to Fife. This bridge was built in 1886 to replace that destroyed in the storm of 1879.
The most prominent of the buildings is the Observation Tower or Harbourmaster's Office to the right of centre. This stood at the mouth of Craig Harbour.
None of the vessels in the photograph have been identified. They are, however, paddle steamers, most likely running to Fife or on pleasure trips along the river to Perth and Bridge of Earn via Newburgh.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.