Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0956
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the north east corner of the King William IV Dock in Dundee Harbour. Wilson was a jute finishing factory (calender) manager who spent his leisure time (and money) on photography.
The buildings are in Dock Street, with the Sailors' Home just right (east) of centre with its elegant cupola roof, and the Customs House, an elegant Italianate building dating from 1842-43, seen from behind at the right.
The three ships in the dock are unidentified but, by their general design (wooden hulls, and two or there masts), it may safely be assumed that they form part of Dundee's whaling and sealing fleet.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.