Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0957
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows the north east corner of part of Dundee Harbour known as King William IV Dock. The buildings are in the city's Dock Street.
They include the elegant Italianate Customs House (designed by James Leslie and John Taylor) just right of centre and the Sailors' Home (a David Maclaren design of 1881) to its left.
The ships in the harbour are unidentified, but they may be fairly safely be assumed to be part of the city's whaling and sealing fleet, which provided the oils which were necessary to treat raw jute before processing could take place.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.