Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0958
This photograph shows Dundee's harbour from the south. The fishing boats are in the tidal basin. Beyond the wall is the King William IV Dock. At the left is the harbourmaster's observation tower.
The Royal Arch (erected in 1848 to celebrate a visit by Queen Victoria in 1844) stands just to the left of centre. It was demolished in 1963 as part of a land reclamation project to allow the construction of approach roads to the Tay Road Bridge.
To the right of centre is the spire of Sir George Gilbert Scott's St Paul's Cathedral, which stands on top of Castle Hill. The row of buildings is the north side of Dock Street.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.