Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0959
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the tidal basin at Dundee Harbour. The ships to the left are berthed in King William IV Dock, with a red light tower visible just left of centre.
The paddle steamer is unidentified, but was either a pleasure boat running on the Dundee to Perth route (via Newburgh) or across the Firth of Tay to Tayport. The larger sailing ships are unidentified but are large enough to suggest they were jute carriers
The passageway in the foreground led to the Earl Grey Dock which had four storage sheds and access to both Dock Street at the north and Craig Street (leading to the railway stations) at the west.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.